PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter a joke, claims navy sailor
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2005, 16:38
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Speculation

When we read of an accident/incident/crash..don't we all ask ourselves..."wonder what happened....why did they do that....what was the weather...how many passengers....where was his fuel....all sorts of questions like that. I do...I know any self respecting helicopter pilot does...we are afterall most importantly human and thus have that innate curiousity within us. That is part of our learning....and should be.

Done the right way, with due care and consideration for other's sensitivities, can we not ask these kinds of questions on a public forum?

At some point...as credible information is developed...speculation will be acceptable...at what point is it permissible to ask questions?

We feel free to quiz others about the S-92 MGB oil pumps....and very darn few of us have even seen a 92 much less will ever fly one thus why is that much different than talking about the crash of a 40 year old helicopter.

We can mourn our lost friends and fellow aircrew but at the same time maintain a professional decorum about our natural curiousity as to the causes of the tragedy.

Until you know the facts it would follow making statements as to the cause would be quite premature and thus out of line.

If I should leave here because of an accident....I surely hope one person learns something out of it that prevents him from making the same mistake I did or suffering the same mechanical failure that got me. The only way for that to happen is for all those kinds of questions to be asked. Sometimes accident reports do not tell the whole story....and it takes someone asking the right questions to bring the full truth out on a crash.

One man's opinion.