PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Purser or main crew?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2005, 12:05
DELTABOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its rather a lonely place to be once your incharge, that go's for any management/ supervisory position i guess. To be an effective manager you have to earn respect from your fellow crew members & knowing what a bitchy & somewhat artificial industry airlines can be you have to be quite hard & insensitive to survive in this role. Personally, I enjoyed it on the whole, but i viewed the senior cabin crew management & training dept with suspicion (a nest of vipers if you will) & kept my distance, just didn't have it in me to act the part & get a brown nose in the process. You also have to take all the crap from pax if it all go's tits up or some stressed out ccm down the back decides to have a go at a punter & it all gets nasty & again the SCCM has to take the brunt & mediate. To be honest I liked a few dust ups onboard & stressful situations, it kept me on my toes & stopped the job getting too repetitive & dull. But looking at the salaries alot of airlines pay their SCCM, it isn't much of an incentive & I can understand why alot of crew would decline promotion. Also, some ccm probably feel they haven't the confidence in them to work in a supervisory position, not all of us are natural leaders. I certainly never viewed myself as one, I was just very knowledgable, reasonably calm in a crisis & always respected my fellow crew members.