PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo - prior warning
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2005, 14:43
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taken completely by surprise. I'd had one lesson with the wonderful 'Mr Aviation' Tom Dugdale from Barton, and an hour or so later we found another aeroplane had come free after a cancelleation, so we went up again (I was at about the 10 hour stage of my training).

After we landed Tom said "I think you're ready. Just drop me off by the Tower". I couldn't believe it as Tom folded his seat belt, slammed the door shut, turned, and strode away from the blattering C150. I remebering lining up and thinking "once I take this thing up, I'll have to get it down again" - and I wasn't that sure I could!

But of course I did - with no problems at all. I didn't come down off the ceiling for weeks!

And a few months later Tom conducted my GFT. After we landed he simply said in his inimatable gentlemanly style "thank's very much. Very nice ride". And walked away.

"But did I pass?" I spluttered. "Oh yes. Of course", said Tom. What a wonderful instructor. Still our club president at his very advanced age now, still our aeros comp judge, but long ceased instucting.

SSD