PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2005, 14:20
Oyindo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at Virgin Atlantic’s requirements for prospective candidates they should meet the following criteria:
* At least 2500 - 3000 hours total time
* Commercial candidates should have a minimum of 1500 hours commercial jet time (BAe 146 or above)
* UK issue JAA ATPL
* MCC qualified
* Right of abode in the EU

While Virgin Nigeria requirements for First Officers must have a total of
* 3,000 hours on jet aircraft.
* All pilots must have a JAA ATPL (or a similar transferable licence),
* Class One medical,
* Right to abode in Nigeria.

I am of the opinion that higher restrictions are put in place to prevent/reduce the number of Nigerian Pilots qualifying for jobs within Virgin Nigeria. They will be able to put a case to the powers that be, justifying the need to have as many oyinbo’s in position as they can to meet any short fall. It will not surprise me if at least 49% of the pilot work force will be oyinbo’s.

A precedence has been set by at least one company in GA where high requirements have been put in place to prevent Nigerian Pilots getting jobs, of course supported by an Oil company, while the powers that be still gives their full support to these practices. There are Nigerian Pilots within that company with more experience in Total Time and aircraft types than any of the oyinbo’s. Yet the Nigerians fly as co-pilots to the less experienced oyinbo’s.

The Nigerian Pilot is very capable if given half a chance and will be able to meet the very high Virgin Nigeria standards required to operate the modern aircraft's promised. For those Nigerian Boeing Pilot’s out there, the Airbus (side stick) is easier to fly and operate than a Boeing once you get to fly it, I’m told.