PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA pilot fails breath test - Update - Not Guilty!
Old 8th Apr 2005, 17:47
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heliport

You're right mostly except for the procedure at the police station.

In the case of aircrew, then Police have a power to ask for a specimen of breath, or blood or urine.

However, they have agreed with the CAA that usualy a blood test will be required.

That invloves calling a doctor. Who, depending on how busy he is, can take between 10 minutes to 11.5 hrs to arrive. Only a doctor can take a blood test.

As has been stated, while waiting for a doctor, the BAC will not stay static, it could be either going down, or up depending on when the prisoners last drink was.

After a blood test has been taken, then usualy a person will be bailed while it is tested. I say usualy, because there can be times when that can be delayed.

I don't know where northwing gets the 2 tests seperated by 2 hours from. But it is not correct.

In answer to another point, the reason why Greater Manchester Police said this pilot had been drinking is because that is what the result of the blood test told them.

Will there be some form of enquiry? I doubt it very much. I doubt it is in the interests of the pilot to have one.