PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF LHR Base (merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2005, 15:11
jettlager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello peanut pusher.
Congratulations on the promotion.........?
Did you move the the UK to get the CSMs coat?
Fourth floor????

Anyway............Your report about how fabulous the operation is flies in the face of reports from those directly in contact with it and with those fielding the many complaints.

The LHR base represents to Australian based crew a not inconsiderable loss of pay and conditions.

It also is the vehicle that at present prevents hundreds and hundreds of OTHER Australian residents the oportunity to fly for the nations flag carrier.
The base DENIES AUSTRALIANS the same opportunity afforded you and I.

The fact that you support it for you own ends is your own business.

It represents to SYD based crew however the largest attack yet on our conditions and is lining the pockets of senior executives at cabin crew's expense.

Myself and the hundreds of others who have operated the flagship Kangaroo route for years have arguably provided the highest standards of service in our network.

Does the word "ownership" ring a bell?
It was beaten into us as a concept for service excellence from a sadly departed management team that CONSIDERED US, A PART OF THE BUSINESS.
The London base is a vehicle set up by a management team that CLEARLY does not.

None of us in SYD are happy that our company's reputation for excellence on the route is being sold in exchange for ever increasing executive bonuses and if you take the critisism and exposure of the service failures personally, thats unfortunate.

I'd purposely chosen not to mention "age" and the fact that QFUK is well short on "life experience" as I find ageism distastful, pathetic and rather sad.

However you started it. Good judgement in stressful conditions requires maturity and life experience by the bucket load.

Enthusiasm for ones work is not age specific and the 50 year olds I am privileged to fly with invariably have the skills, pride in their work, life experience and maturity to have our passengers eating out of their hands.

Our passengers are a captive audience for 14 hours at a stretch.
How and at what level is a 22 year old going to relate to and converse with, a 60 year CEO?
Eye candy I suppose but isn't that more appropriate for "Hooters".

Nothing wrong with youth OR experience.

QF needs both in balance. As a cabin crew "community" your base is seriously unbalanced, by your own admission.

Lyn Stanbridge knew this and sadly those now running QF DONT CARE.
THEY JUST WANT CHEAP and sadly our once proud airline is suffering.

Back to ageism.
As a CSM, who do look to for support in a crises, be it medical, security or whatever?
The 22 year old bit of fluff straight out of school.
Good luck.

I'll tell you who I look to. The 50 year old salt and peper haired bloke who has been flying 25 years. He knows what a passenger is going to say or do before they do, can pick his mark, has a cool head and has seen EVERYTHING.

The problems being experienced with LHR are exactly that. The 50 year old ex Senior, ex Air chef, ex Chief. You dont have ENOUGH of them.

Handovers???????
You have GOT to be kidding?
You may be Ex longhaul and have some semblance of what one is but I can assure you your [ex domestic ?] collegues dont.

Perhaps things will in time improve for you and your operation but my guess is it is going to take years.

I personally look foward to a massive regime change at QF that may see a CEO taking a LONGTERM approach to "The Spirit Of Australia's" success rather than the "Chainsaw Dunlop" method we are enduring.
We are 10 years or so behind management trends in the US after all.
Why, they might even close the whole nonsense down.

Jettlager

Congratulations, any truth to the rumour you guys have taken our FRA trips?

I get the message peanut pusher.
It's ALL good, right