PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Kings back to Westlands
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2005, 22:34
tucumseh

Received 175 Likes on 66 Posts
102 is about right, what with Mk 3, 3A, 4, 5, 6 and 7 (and the odd Mk1 and a half).

You can gut a Mk 5 or 6 so it can carry, more or less, a Mk4’s load, but it can never be a Mk4. No VOR/ILS, NVG or self protection for a start, and it’s a different airframe altogether.

I imagine the report refers to SKIOS (SK Integrated Operational Support or similar). First mooted in late 1985, so a contract now sounds about right. Wonder if the notional savings take into account job losses at Fleetlands/DARA, 2nd Line, 4th Line, Sea King IPT etc; and the immediate effect on front line if something goes wrong and there’s no contract cover to fix it. The saving grace, as always, is that WHL are extremely flexible and will work at risk, especially if they are prime – a trait that has served MoD well and hauled them out of the mire many many times.

The (60) contracts refer to support contracts with different vendors. In most cases these must remain, but in the form of sub-contracts from the SKIOS contractor. Effectively, the SKIPT support areas (Commercial/Finance/Supply) are being privatised. I wish Westland well, but the time taken from concept to contract award makes me think their contract will have been difficult to negotiate, which usually means the MoD are carrying high risk.