PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2005, 21:46
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FJJP,
You raised a very good point. I asked that very point back in 2003. Herewith, my question followed by the reply from the MoD.

Q: Air Chif Marshal Day was the Director of Air Force Plans and Programs MoD between 1991 and 1994. Was his Department involved in any way with the procurement and/or introduction into service of the Chinook HC2?

A: You also ask for further information about the procurement and/or introduction into service of the Chinook HC2 and I have sought advice from the Chinook Project Team. They have confirmed that between 1991 and 1994 the Directorate of Air Force Plans and Programmes had no involvement in the procurement and introduction of the Chinook Mk2 into service.

Q: Air Chief Marshal Wratten was the Director of Operational Requirements (RAF) MoD between 1984 and 1986. As above, was his Department involved in any way with the procurement and/or introduction into service of the Chinook HC2?

A: Similarly, in the period 1984 to 1986 the Directorate of Operational Requirements had nothing to do with the proposed mid-life update of the Chinook HC1.

On a different note, I was very disappointed to see that the official RAF website carries a copy of the article written by Mr Wratten back in in 2000 ( Galls me to put the link, but here it is (scroll down) ), in which he justifies his decision to blame the pilots. There is nothing on the site to balance the article. How sad that the RAF does not take an imparital approach, despite many people trying to clear the names of two of their own. I wonder why the article merits bandwidth on the site in the first place? Perhaps the opinion of senior officers really is above all else!

Don't forget, the campaign is a cross party issue. If you have a prospective Parliamentary candidate call at your door, amongst other things, be sure to bring this injustice to their attention and ask their opinion.

More, as and when.
My best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook