PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC-8 two-engine ferry?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2005, 21:26
ou Trek dronkie

Maurice,

Well, yes, I only flew LRC except in the silver days before OPEC came along. I remember 7 US cents/USG … I gotta agree with you of course. But sooner you than me mate. (Ou drek skrikker).

What I was suggesting is what happens if you lose a donk on the wrong side, know what I mean ? Like, I mean, you know, on rotation.

EINA !!

And there is precious little you can do after the magic moment between Vmcg and Vmca. My memory of these mystic FLAs (four letter acronyms) is a bit misty, but I seem to remember it’s about reaction time, or have I finally lost it ? (It's late and the Roman roads have been particularly difficult today).

And as for shutting down an engine to save fuel,

“i was told by a ground instructor that the 757 had a better range flying in one engine, being the cause that is overpowered and it's engines run at relativly low power setting , and as someone pointed out in a previous post the fuel comsumption is reduced when flying on one engine, while saying that he was showing the calculation tables of the acft” …

And the guy then says :

“shut down two engines on CRS and save 10 or 20% of fuel”

Well, I mean, what was the point of Mr Boeing or Mr Douglas putting the extra engine on and all that ? Why do I read such twaddle ?

Maurice, Yes, of course, you have words of wisdom. Once you are airborne, it’s OK. It’s always about altitude, as you rightly say. Did a fair bit of panel work meself and always believed in the book.

I say again, fly by the book, unless you know better than the guys who wrote it. Just believe, it’s easier - and safer.

Ou Tired dronkie