PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phuket Air - passenger action.
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2005, 09:53
Dylsexlic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have enjoyed an emergency evacuation of a Charter BAC1-11 some years ago. The aircraft was on stand at LEPA and starting no.1 engine prior to pushback. Fuel then either vented or, more likely a fuel line ruptured, spraying fuel into the jet exhaust.

It caught fire and the crew shut down the engine and ordered an emergency evacuation over the PA. As I was at the rear, I was sent down the rear steps just before the stewardess realised that the flaming fuel was pooling at the bottom.

She grabbed the person behind me by the collar and screamed at them to get away from this exit. I was too far down the steps and had to continue. From about the second step, I had no choice but to leap over the river of flaming fuel. At that moment, the fire truck appeared spraying foam over the whole area, including me - in mid jump. I looked like a snowman.

I can't remember the charter company but the only comfort they offered was to ask me to complete a report form about the incident for the crew. I can remember thinking that the sunset was unusually bright out of the port windows!

Another aircraft was sent and four hours later we were on our way back to the UK. No fuss, no compensation, no nothing. We were a very subdued bunch of holidaymakers though.

I can imagine the Shock! Horror! Compensation! stories that would be all over the papers had that happened recently.