PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Post - Algoa or 43?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 20:48
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ParisFlyer,

I'm currently donig my PPL at Algoa, although I'm back in the UK for a 4 day pit stop (but that's another story), I'm going back out tomorrow night to complete my course.

Can't fault them, instructors are great, and I feel that training from a commercial airport rather than a grass airfield gets you more used to proceedures and flying with the big boys right from the start, also the G.F. isn't far away either.

I just had my solo party last Friday along with 2 other guys from the UK, I went solo last Thursday.

There are lots of great people to be found hanging out in the "Gremlin's Grotto" at the end of the day's flying too.

I chose Algoa for the simple fact that as I am paying for the training then I wanted to do it in a relaxed environment, not a regimented school, where I can wear what I want and not have to wear a uniform - I wear one to work so I'm dammned if I'm wearing one to learn to fly in for a PPL, although the CPL/IR students do wear a uniform of sorts, and even thats debatable with some of them. Also when I ran a search of Algoa on here, there was not 1 bad comment about them, where as other schools had mixed opinions so that swung it for me too. Also the weather in P.E. at the moment is similar to our summer, with some decent strong winds thrown in too, just it's slightly more reliable to get the hours in.

Also have a word with Irv Lee. He has been approved to conduct SA re-tests in the UK and has a website all about fying in the UK on an SA license, although I'm sure he will reply to this thread when he sees it.

http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/