PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Willie Walsh is the man to head BA
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 20:42
ShortfinalFred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus is absolutely correct in his analysis. I see no hope whatsoever. The BALPA Reps do a sterling job, but are kept masterfully on the back foot by a plethora of issues, none of which alone, perhaps with the AMP apart, are enough to galvanise sufficient numbers of the membership into industrial action.

Even if industrial action were possible, (unlikely given the general BA BALPA memberships' repeated lack of backbone), then it will be a form of suicide anyhow. As described above - someone is pushing us into that path for quite deliberate motives.

If the BACC Chairman ever makes good on his promise to call a strike over the first flightcrew member to be sacked due to the AMP, then I can guarantee that he and the rest of the BACC will be made redundant so fast they will be dizzy.

I wonder if the rest of the flightcrew workforce really has the will and the fibre to resist on their behalf when push comes to shove, as it surely must as the WW era looms.

The contempt for Flightcrew is absolute and grows by the day. It is striking how the "way ahead" for ambitious Flight Ops Managers, with very few but honourable exceptions, consists of holding the flightcrew in ever more scathing disregard.

I gather that, meanwhile, we have another IT fiasco brewing. EWS, the spares and inventory management system that has been such a spectacular failure - so much so that, to make the system work, large number of parts just aren't entered into the system so that the engineers can actually get the parts that they need - is about to be topped in the 'Disaster Stakes' by the replacement for FICO and DISC. This was meant to combine the two computer systems into one and reduce paperwork.

Moles report, however, that it creates a chaotic cocktail of more paperwork and mountains of extra labour input to achieve the same result.

Look for it to be trumpeted as a "huge win", (corporate speak), in the BA News anytime soon!

Gloomy missive concluded by saying how much I sympathise with BA's fantastic and long suffering Engineers. They have had more reorganisations and restructurings than I have had hot meals, everyone to their disbenefit, it appears to me. I admire them for their weary cheerfulness and many kindnesses.