PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Identify this once-flying-object
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 20:09
Sloppy Link

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The compressed air nozzles were at the rear, they interrupted the efflux from the flight motor to give steering, the blue nozzles are the launch motor nozzles that gave the initial oomph to clear the aircraft. The two coloured sticker is simply a temperature range for storage: Red half indicating the upper temperature limit and the blue half the lower. 18 sec ToF is about right, range of up to 3000m. Warhead was 2.2lbs of RDX/TNT with a shaped charge. Poster who said AS-12 with 165lbs of warhead methinks has forgotten a decimal point, please confirm? The diameter would have been about 6.5" and about 4' in length. Non-beer fuelled inspection and checking old scrapbook phots is bringing me round to thinking that this is one or the other. The AAC never had AS-11 (Harpoon), different guidance system, don't know about the FAA or RAF. Not really suitable for them. Having checked, I now think this could well be an SS-11 or AS-11 motor section. That will teach me to fire from the hip. Apologies to those I may have mis-led.