PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA pilot fails breath test - Update - Not Guilty!
Old 6th Apr 2005, 20:01
zehutiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, Touch'n'oops, you see nothing wrong with testing everyone, eh? The problem, is that people make mistakes, and gov't folks seem to make more than their fair share. Do you want some 19 year-old interpreting your breathalizer? How about a brand new 20 year-old Technician interpreting your blood results -- maybe he'll use sterile gloves when he handles your sample, maybe not. Or, what if one of those folks who holds your fate in their hands, has a dislike for well-to-do people like you, or maybe he simply dislikes pilots. Point is, there are so, so many avenues for abuse, mistakes, and incompetence, along the way, you're at great risk for false results. I could tell a few stories of complete and undeniable abuse of power by supposedly "unbiased" parties, here in the U.S.. Like a Flight Attendant whose urine sample was deliberately made "positive." The lawsuit by the injured party found that his own company, the lab, and even a physician, conspired to produce a false result. Why? Because the FA was attempting to organize a union. I could tell of others.

How about video in the cockpit?

After the accident, the newspaper will be told that there was an inexplicable and complete loss of power on the right engine. Unable to explain it, even after exhaustive engine-remnant examination, the authorities have concluded that they saw you, the First Officer, on video, flipping the Fuel Cut-off Switch, to off. Except, the truth of the matter, is that you were simply picking up the pen that was lying underneath the switches, or maybe the trim switches were very close by. But, who cares? The authorities have closed the book on this one and, blamed you for the deaths of everyone aboard -- your family can live with it.

I noticed that under your Interests, you wrote, "Not getting caught." Considering you advocate complete openess, I find that to be a very strange and ironic philosophy.

Believe me, we want no more incursions into our privacy.

Agree with Touch\'n\'oops. In fact I would expand it. There should be no part of our lives not open to examination and inspection if it means reducing infractions. I would say cameras in the cockpit and recorders in the cockpit and let the authorities review them periodically for possible infractions. If we are doing it right, nothing to fear. If it works out well in air transport, definitely move it into our private lives. Imagine, no crime in our homes, offices, autos, etc. It would be utopia.
Saline, let me guess...you voted for GW Bush

Mo
But maybe (I hope) you\'re just kidding