PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phuket Air - passenger action.
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 11:35
EddieHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainboe, hope you're not flying the ship next time I 'm travelling with that attitude towards your customers.

The problem with most airlines is that nobody explains anything to anyone outside the system. whilst something might be 'normal' to the pilots, how are the passengers supposed to know that? after all no passengers have ever been flown to their deaths by professional pilots switching off the wrong engine because they couldn't see which one was on fire from the cockpit
have they?

I've seen it many times on the TV prog about easyjet, where passengers have remonstrated about not being let onto the flight although it is still on the ground. I've often thought that if passengers were informed about having to close the plane off to do weight loading and takeoff calcs etc prior to departure, they may be more understanding as to why once the gate is closed they can't be allowed on.

As a pilot (private) myself I understand enough about the airline system and flying to understand why some things which are normal to the crew, appear frightening to passengers, such as windsheer on approach etc. but I think I would also be concerned if I saw fuel venting overboard, as it could have been a problem similar to the BA one with a fuel tank panel missing etc.

If the crew or airline had taken the time to explain what the problem was to the passengers, in sufficient detail to reassure them, not just "oh it's ok its normal", then it may have been a none issue.

It seems a lack of communication was at fault here even if a technical issue wasn't.