PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF LHR Base (merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 10:59
jb_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, this is a risk coming out ito the firing line, when all instinct tells me to crouch lower in my trench...

My issue with the base is not driven only by the erosion of conditions. My opinion on that issue does not hold much weight, as I am not a Flight Attendant.

My opinion, and this post, comes from a different perspective, that of the wannabe. I know this issue is serious for all current crew, and I do not wish this post to detract from their concerns in any way.

With the number of crew based overseas, in London, NZ and Bangkok, there is increasingly smaller amounts of work being avaliable to people in Australia who want to work here, without moving. There has been numourous comments from UK nationals saying that we should get over it, and I would like to take issue with that. There are many more oppurtunities in the UK/ Europe to work as cabin crew, (yes some are contract or seasonal work, but the number of carriers with London based positions especially...) then we have here in Australia. OK my home town of Perth is not crawling with oppurtunities, but I am willing to move east to where the concentrations are.

So this airline, "The Spirit of Australia" is employing increasing amounts of overseas based crews, in what has been acknowledged as cost cutting. Now remembering that Qantas is not in dire financial troubles, indeed it is one of the most profitable airlines in the world. Qantas is not in a position like many US carriers who are battling bankruptcy, they are in a strong financial position, and enjoy an effective monopoly on their highest grossing routes. (So much for no Government help or handouts hey!)

So I will reserve my opinion of the effect this is having on crews, on conditions and service standards, rosters etc, as I would just be repeating heresay, but I am finding it very difficult to find gainful employment with the Qantas group, and so are many other wannabes. Imagine if the 400 odd crew based overseas were Australian based, many many more oppurtunities.

JB

(ducks back down in the trench, riot shield at the ready)