PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal Conviction A Problem?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2005, 21:29
silverknapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite an emotive subject. I just tried researching on the web to give a more constructive answer but it's surprisingly difficult to pin down an exact answer.
On hire car subject - You won't get one with a DD conviction. Period.
As for spent convictions that is an interesting argument, I don't think it's black and white. Certain jobs are exempt from the normal disclosure rules. The two off the top of my head are police and teaching. If you're a pervert, no matter when it was you'll never get a job teaching. Same if you were a thief, no matter when, unless you can prove some exceptional circumstance you will never be a plod.
In todays heightened security times, I would imagine airlines are allowed a bit more carte blance into researching your past. Saying it was five years ago so it doesn't matter may not be sufficient. And remember an airline doesn't issue your airside pass. But then would they consider DD to be such a terrible thing 5 years on. I can't see it in the list of disqualifying criteria.
I don't want to sound negative but research it further. Write to BAA about getting a pass, write to disclosure also. I hope it works out for you, but ignore the hot heads and take a calculated approach to your research. It could save you long term pain.

Cheers

Last edited by silverknapper; 5th Apr 2005 at 21:50.