PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled VS LHR-JNB ...
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2005, 19:39
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a Barbados, Antigua LHR duty, we found engine damage when we landed at Antigua (bent fan blades)- I knew not to go on on 3! Most pax went to boarding lounge to wait. Delay whilst conference with London took place about engine. I knew it was bust. Went in to explain to pax. I was surrounded by a jabbering lot. There was the usual Lawyer ("I will start an action against BA- I am a friend of Sir Colin!"), the hysterical Mum must get back to her children ("you are not telling us everything!"- "WHAT! I know nothing myself!"). The woman who was obviously smoking something "when can the standby aeroplane get here?"- "WELL Madam, it's circling over Cuba now with a full crew onboard and will be here in a jiffy!" As the delay dragged awaiting confirmation is was broke, it was an awful experience being at the mercy of this braying crowd all jabbing their fingers at me, all desperate to get home. I was struck by how fine people plan their lives- the woman with all the kids being looked after at home HAD to get back because there was a 20 minute window to take over babysitting from her mother before Mum went on her own holiday.
People don't realise aeroplanes are just machines that can and do go wrong, people fall sick inflight and aeroplanes need to divert, and if you get to your destination with 24 hours you are indeed lucky!

Nice night in the Jolly Beach!