PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special Reconnaissance Regiment
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2005, 16:53
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless

I said "at the expense of"! No one disputes the outstanding capability of correctly employed special forces, but their expansion should not take place at the same time that the infantry are being cut back. Infantry battalions have a notional roulement of 24 months; some of them have been rotated out to Iraq on a 6 month basis.

It is also looking as if the British Army will be redeploying to Afghanistan as part of the NATO contingent to finish the job that was left half-done. This will draw heavily on the infantry capability that is being cut back. After the ground has been taken and cleared, someone has to occupy it - as the Iraq and Afghan experiences demonstrated.

Investment in the infantry also pays dividends by increasing the pool of the appropriate calibre available for special operations.

The Parachute Regiment - with a heroic history including the Falklands and Arnhem - are a classic example of retention of an inappropriate capability. They are outstanding light infantrymen but are as likely to carry out a parachute drop in anger as I am - and that does not mean I am likely to carry out a parachute drop in anger!

When I think of Afghanistan I think of carpets and hounds, then the second Afghan war and then the infamous first Afghan war....