PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diamond and Thielert
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2005, 12:41
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many would use these systems on a daily basis? How many a/c have these fitted?
Personally I know the 430 backwards and could have a pretty good stab with any of them. They aren't difficult to use but it does take a bit of time to get totally familiar with any new piece of equipment.

Complex aircraft should have a training course to show how to use the systems, but even if they don't, how difficult is it for anybody (including FI's) to pick up a manual and start playing.

Why is it that many FI's aren't familiar with 'fancy' avionics? How many training a/c have them fitted? Not many and anyway, the primary function of an instructor is to teach you how to navigate safely without all the bell and whistles.

You make it sound as if FI's are failing in some way by not being totally au fait with new stuff. How's is that true? New equipment takes time and practice to become competent on.

Of the aforementioned 100 PPL instructors, how many need to know how a certain autopilot works? Last time I checked it wasn't part of the syllabus. Anyway, they all work differently to each other even if the basics are the same, so being up to speed on all different types of RNAV, FMS, ECAS, ECAM, ABCD...... won't help when something new comes along that works in a different way.

Could I jump into a DA-42 without reading the manual. NO and nor should I. Everybody should be as familiar as possible in relation to the type they are flying. Before I would teach anybody about any system, I would have to be totally up to speed on it.
Why would any other FI be any different? To say anything different is an insult to instructors everywhere.

As I said before, there are some muppets out there, but you constantly attack or make snide comments about instructors in many of your posts. Why don't you go and get a rating and show us how to do it if we are all so bad.