PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - recruitment at cx
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2002, 11:06
ipanema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm over 10,000 multi hours, 7,000 turbine, submitted the CX application a while ago. No response at all yet.

I'm a union man to the bone, always have been, but the fact is that in the current employment climate it is very difficult for a union to keep both credibility and Members while holding a hard line against management.

My own union (a regional) had hard choices to make on a monthly basis, and has had that situation continuously for over a decade due to the airline's poor finances. But the Executive face the facts that inappropriate action on the pilots' part can close the airline for good and put them all out of work.

So when their backs are against the wall there may be brief industrial action - a sick out once a year, maybe, and a day-long strike if they are really pressed - but a hiring ban is not going to work in the long run and the union will eventually have to accept that.

Having removed a group of pilots, not even a western management would now save face by hiring them back. There must be a way for the union to extricate itself from the situation and for both parties to get on with business.

Obviously this is not a straighforward matter, but there is a solution to every problem and the fact is that closure of the airline is not going to happen. It is also pretty clear that the dismissed are not going to be taken back.

Any news on the hiring of someone for the new position of middle-man buffer between Management and Flight Crew??

[ 14 February 2002: Message edited by: ipanema ]</p>