PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A call to Geoffrey Thomas/Aviation journalists
Old 5th Apr 2005, 10:06
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AnQrKa you missread my post, i said a driver, with his OWN truck. a 600hp rig capable of pulling a B2 will see you with little change from $500,000

the $80K job i have seen, moving Mining equip from Port Botany. its not common, but not uncommon either, on average, every tonne of capacity you can put on the road will earn you $1k per week.

i am coming from the point of OWNER/ driver. the owner of the vehicles gets the contracts, and then has to pay his employees otherwise known as drivers.

i OWN 3, 2 tonne vans. i have 6 tonnes capacity on the road every week. and thats about my weekly cheque. then i have to pay 2 other drivers etc.

the Point of my Post is that the trucking game is a very close nit group, who stick together to ensure each others financial and job security. weather you drive a 1 tonne Ute, of a 200 Tonne Road train! and that bad drivers/operators are quickly weeded out, and the good survive and prosper, but still do all they can to help others in the industry, there is no, "bugger the rest of you, im allright thanks jack" attitude.

and when things get tight, as the latest accusations of drivers using substances, the onus is not on the drivers/owners , but on the SUPPLIER of the cartage contracts...

now if only all pilots, from all levels can look look after each other and each others interests, regardless of rating or aircraft flown, then the pilots as a group will be a lot better off, and the companies providing you with employment will be forced to act justly and with reasonable conditions that reflect your importance in maintaining safety, and contribution to the company..