PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay's CEO Blunder over Tragedy
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2001, 08:02
Herb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think Dragonspanner has taken the time to educate himself.As has been pointed out the industrial action started in 1999 with the ultimatum from DT.

More for 411A to drool over from the SCMP, today.

Letters to the editor.
TERROR IN AMERICA: HONG KONG'S RESPONSE
Money-mad city hardly world class

As an American living in Hong Kong, I am disappointed and disgusted with the SAR Government's lack of sensitivity towards the horrific events in the United States last week.
While the rest of the world showed its emotional support for Americans and their Government during this crisis, the only comments from our leaders related to the economic impact the events would have on Hong Kong.

This reinforces my belief that our leaders are continuing to lead this society down a path where there is no regard for human life and that they see everything in terms of economics.

While most other governments and stock markets showed their empathy last week through moments of silence and prayers, Hong Kong was woefully silent in any expression recognising the deep sorrow many of us feel.

This reaffirms that Hong Kong is not a world-class city. Shame on everyone in our Government and financial markets.

L. SUN
Tai Tam
And More....

Letters to the Editor
.TERROR IN AMERICA: HONG KONG'S RESPONSE
World mourned, but our leaders did nothing

I wrote to Tung Chee-hwa to ask why Hong Kong did not observe the day of mourning on Friday, September 14, for the tragedy in the United States.
Elsewhere in the world, countries flew their national flags at half mast in an unprecedented show of support in recognition of this suffering.

I had hoped Hong Kong, as my adopted residence and place of business, would shed its unfortunate reputation for paying attention only to matters of money by demonstrating some understanding of and empathy with the world around it.

As a business person operating in Hong Kong, I have accepted this reputation of self-centredness with quiet resignation, but I found the recent lack of respect so disturbing that I felt the need to write to the Chief Executive.

M. R. WITTMAN
Central
[ 22 September 2001: Message edited by: Herb ]