PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delay Stories
Thread: Delay Stories
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2005, 14:01
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
TS I think that you have probably got the winning score there. Not in duration but for high quality aggravation!

A delay from South Africa to UK in 1990 was not an incovenience as such but it had a running problem....

It was a daylight (dep about 09:00) JNB~BRU via (I think) Kinshasha on Sabena. I was in club on the upper deck of the 743 and expected a beautifully quiet trip, with a simple connection on to LHR.

The stop went OK but we were about to enter Libyan air space when they closed it. We had to go west to get around them and Algeria. Then a tech stop for more go-juice in Casablanca (not allowed off, of course) then on to BRU. Delayed by all the summer traffic over Spain with difficult routing to add on, meant that we got in at midnight and so had to night stop (their expense) as the last London had gone.

Now, since I was in Club, what am I complaining about? The baby in the row behind me. It was very small and new and the mother appeared to be inexperienced as, whenever it made any noise, she simply poured milk into it. In due course, the baby 'overflowed' and the smell was

In the upper deck of the 74, the locker bins are beside the window and provide a very good flat surface. These are particularly suitable for ... changing the baby's nappy... until the person sitting in the window seat one row in front hits the call button and points out the problem. I drank more alcohol on that trip than on ANY other trip in my life! A journey that is seared into my memory.