PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2005, 08:23
choppersafari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mast Bumping ...

I remember reading of a pilot telling how an instructor demonstrated a low G pushover in an R22 to him (against common sense and the FM!) - apparently there was a loud thump and bang as he recovered from the attitude changes - the instructor continued the flight saying no worries, all was fine ...

On landing an inspection revealed a crease in the mast [might have some details wrong - I will look through my stuff and see if I can find the printout - I seem to recall it being from one of these forums ...]

Has anyone out there had close calls with mast bumping in 22, 44 or 206's, and survived!?

I'm interested to know how violent the pitch and roll is and how much chance/time there is to load the disc again while it is rolling etc. - This could be a reality when caught in turbulence or updraught/downdraught windsheer ...

Would it help to 'ride with the right roll' while loading the disc with aft cyclic, or is the onset too quick and violent for this reaction?

[Obviously the 'intinctive' reaction would be to counter the roll with opposite cyclic, which accentuates the problem and accelerates the bumping potential - and the instinct will be more quickly applied with the speed of the onset of roll etc. especially if caught unawares! - and you want to be able to go against instinct to survive.]