PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A call to Geoffrey Thomas/Aviation journalists
Old 4th Apr 2005, 02:45
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don,

After all, why should an airline spend thousands of dollars training a pilot to operate a particular aircraft type to then find that after a short time that person buggers off to another employer who just happens to offer better terms?
Easy, the airline just has to be the one that provides the best terms, people would then not leave on that basis.

How much does it cost a doctor, dentist, solicitor, architect , accountant etc. to receive his or her training training? How long does it take them to earn top dollar?
For most of these upper echelon proffesions it takes 7-9 years to earn top dollar. Sadly most pilot's never have that opportunity I also have a friend, who when he graduated as an accountant went straight into a position which pays around $30000 a year more than my regional turboprop captain gig.

For many professions (law, accountancy, some medical/science), major companies employ students before they have graduated. They provide funding for education, accomodation and some spending money on the side. This never has happened in aviation, nor will it! It is impossible to compare pilots with these other professions.

Cheers, HH.