PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unknown Virus / McAfee probs---help please.
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 16:53
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Unknown Virus / McAfee probs---help please.

On Thursday, McAfee commenced a normal virus scan auto download. When the download reached 100%--I got a message saying there was an error in the McAfee Security Centre--and was routed to do a manual download. This time I got a message saying that I have to be running Windows 5.5 or higher--which I am.

I did a virus check--all the levels showed up to date by the way--and only 30 % ( approx) of my files were scanned before I got the scan complete message. Repeated the excercise--same result.

On Saturday, I tried to send an attachment via hotmail to a friend, only to get a message saying the file was infected with a virus that could not be cleaned. Now I am aware that hotmail had serious problems over Friday / and early Saturday--and have also been sending attachments with no problem prior to this message. All the attachments came from the My Docs folder on OE.

Thus, whilst I clearly have a problem with a virus--I assume--I have no way of finding out which it is and where it is. I am a shade annoyed as I pay for McAfee--have Zone Alarm and Ad-Aware-the latest version --and do a scan of the latter on a weekly basis--so I would have thought I was well protected.

I also had another possible symptom when I returned after the w/end--two mails from different people were repeated. Neither of these people are likely to send the same message twice--although it could happen I suppose.

So, could anybody offer some advice please--not in IT terms as such--more an idiots guide as it were--as to how I can source the problem and rectify it --and also if my diagnosis is correct--or is there another possible reason for the sudden problems at all ?

Many Thanks

K n C