PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europe to Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 15:22
birdlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jules

Dont mean to sound harsh but if you have a JAA licence I wouldnt bother coming over here and converting. Its a big risk to take after spending so much money on a licence. The market is flooded here at the moment and if your not a South African citizen its virtually impossible to get a work permit. However, if your determined to come over here I can recommend Avex for the ground school. Unfortunately you have to do the exams - CPL exams that is. Avex is based in Grand Central. Im doing their course at the moment through home study and their notes are excellent. You'll also obviously have to get a South African Class one medical. For the flying part, I really dont think it will take too long. Just a couple of hours to get used to the airspace and radio here, and then do the CPL prac test. I could be mistaken on this so I would check with the CAA. I would also check up on what kind of visa's you need to study for CPL - if Im not mistaken you'll have to have a study visa. I can also recommend taking a look at this forum www.avcom.co.za
Hope this helps and good luck