PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do you want to be a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 05:05
Kliperoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Post.. this is my little story, probably very similar to some.
I was born and grew up in Toronto Ontario Canada, and lived right under the ILS for 06L, and everything came in 707, 747-100, DC-8, A300, 767 (this was early 80's) Anyways, came time for the great Royal Canadian Exhibition in I think 1986, thus I was only 6. This was the last time the SR-71 was to be seen over Canadian soil doing air demo work. At that time, pre Sept 11 you were able to sit at the old McDonald Douglas parking lot which was only 75 feet from the edge of 24R at Toronto, you still can but no view....anyways, here came this SR-71. He lined up with the centreline, looked over at the amassed group, waved, then did something amazing. Set the brakes, set full throttle (anyone know if the SR-71 has afterburner?), released the brakes and did what would amount to a max. performace takeoff. My eyes did not leave that plane for the entire demo. My dad says the smile did not come off for a week, and neither did the ringing in the ears. After that it was to the airport every weekend, doing 4 hours of plane spotting, and just when it could not get any better I met a new friend who's Dad flew with Air Canada on the new A320!!! I amassed 7 hours including a few engine fires by the time I was 17 on the A320 and DC-9 (MD-80 for those PC people!)

Since then that is all I have wanted. Is to be that person sitting in the cockpit, pushing the throttles forward. Im not in it for the money, or the "my god youre a pilot, please my bedroom". I'm in it because I love airplanes, and I want some 6 year old to see me in the cockpit so I can wave at him.... hopefully he gets the bug too.

BTW I currently am finishing my CCat flight Instructors Rating in Tauranga NZ and have found a new passion in Aviation; actually teaching that 6 year old who is now 17, to fly!!!!