PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - disc cleanup prob
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2005, 22:23
Tonic Please

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crikey. Well in the meantime I'll do my best to think of other methods, factoring in the RUNDLL error. I'm sure that you will inform when/if a solution arises!

Dan.

I had a look at Microsoft just to confirm of a procedure I know about, and have copied it as to a) save me doing it coz im knackered! and b) it\'s probably clearer and saves me making any errors.

I\'ll take the glory if it works though

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft (and tonic ) cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Explorer\\VolumeCaches

4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Explorer\\VolumeCaches

6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.

7. Quit Registry Editor.

It\'s easy when you follow it Its an XP Pro procedure so will work in accordance with your system. The reason Im suggeating this is because Disk CLeanup normally only stops when it has trouble with specific files, and compressed files (seeing as the temp folder thing ddnt work) are another type. We'll get there in the end..

Dan.

Last edited by Tonic Please; 2nd Apr 2005 at 22:56.