PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster/Finningley (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 14:26
ClickRich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck DSA! Must be all hands on deck. Constructions and preparations looking good to my untrained eye.

Just wanted to add two observations to previous postings about motorway signage. Neither will mean the difference between success and failure and probably add up to less than a two penneth of the task at hand for Peel.

1. On visiting the airport recently from the M1 northbound, it was quite an adventure to get to the airport. In the end I headed cross country and lovely though it was, not suitable for heavy traffic loads. The main road alternative from the M1 northbound would be to carry onto the M18 NE, turn onto the A1M due south and then finally turn back NE on A614. Quite a slalom. What looks like about 10 miles from the M1/M18 jct as the cross flies turns into a 15+ miles zig zag. I don't expect any new roads to be built soon, especially as I guess the focus is more the conurbations of Sheffield, Leeds and Bradford etc, but the signage needs to be done with some clear thought.

2. Nothing wrong with lots of signs. Good advertisement for the airport. I'm always surprised that as you approach LBA from the A65 southeast bound there is, to my eyes, no sign until you are only a couple of miles away. Even as you come up to a major roundabout between the A65 and A660 with flights passing above you over Otley Chevin (only 4ish miles out) there's no sign. Missed opportunity?

Hopefully DSA and LBA folks will note this constructively- don't wish to be a Victor Meldrew!