PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now, your Captain is smoking during flight
Old 1st Apr 2005, 13:27
alexban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read some time ago a US safety study that said that is less riskier to allow a smoking pilot to smoke than to forbide him to smoke during flight.
They said the need for smoking can impede with the pilot's abilities to focus during flight.
I'm no smoker,i never smoked,but when i know the f/o is a veteran smoker,and sometimes i see that he realy needs one,i tell them to have a cigarette.It won't kill me,is good crm,we set full ventilation and it's ok. Of course,this is done only at cruise.
And the thing about telling the cpt-'I won't allow you to smoke".. , ya,right! Why won't you tell him "you'll be PNF for the rest of the flight,I'm the capt now!"..
If you think is normal to say such a thing,or to report your captain for such a minor thing,...then I would like to see how you'll think when you'll become a captain yourself. I guess you never was one.
Redsnail,you made me laugh..But maybe you're right,especially if the cockpit is so small as your's plane seems to be (from the pictures on your site).
But ,if you'll tell me you're not allowing me to smoke in the cockpit I'll start smoking just to show you who's the captain ! ...just kidding of course,I won't smoke ,but next time we won't be flying together.(you're bad CRM,making me nervous during flight )
I hope there are not many smoking cpt in you company ,or you will soon fly single pilot airplanes....