PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is the "right time" to quit flying?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 12:21
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I listen to you all, and I agree...of course I do! And yet.....

I remember my father, a keen photographer from his youth, who one day, in his eighth decade, gave me his camera, and said he just didn't want to do it any more. He didn't know why, but it was time to stop.

I talked to a keen skydiver last year. At the age of 60, after many years and jumps, she decided to stop. She wanted to take up something new...she was doing a PPL

I remember an ex-sailor who told me that sailing was either absolutely idyllic or absolutely terrifying; he'd been round the world, done all sorts of things, and...stopped.

Maybe all good things come to an end sometime. And maybe, Mike, if that's the case, it's better to stop rather than to try unsuccessfully to recapture something that isn't there any more. To have good memories, but to accept that things change, and to move on.

But only YOU can know if it's time to do that, or if it ever will be. And asking a bunch of people on the Private Flying Forum if it's time to give up flying is like asking a caterpillar what it feels like to be a butterfly.

Complicated business, life.