PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757-200 performance
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 12:03
Pontious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Prb46

Can't wait for this one to hit 'Waterstones' I can tell you!

With ref to your 'Gear problem on Approach' if the a/c config. was Flap 20 (Single Engine Landing Flap setting) when the 'Gear Down' call was made and, after selection, the nosegear appeared down but not locked (i.e. No Green light & Eicas Clear but a hell of a "THUNK!" below the cockpit floor and a beam from the nosegear landing and taxylights, assuming this occurs at night), then 'a seasoned veteran' on the 75' MAY then select Flap30 because if indeed the gear wasn't down and locked then the "TOO LOW- GEAR" aural warning would sound on the GPWS. If, however, all was quiet, it would probably be an indication problem and you'd reselect Flap 20...if a Go Around was a likelyhood.

Beware going into Entebbe. I've been there 3 times in the last 2 months and hit 2 or 3 birds every time but it is probably a safer bet than trying to go around off 06 at Nairobi because even an overloaded 75' on 1 engine would struggle to Go Around from an MDA of 5500'. Remember on a 75' you can't jettison fuel to reduce your Landing weight to meet Approach/Climb performance criteria.

Performance wise, I've lifted 220 pax from U-Tapao AB in Southern Thailand to Bahrain in the teeth of the usual Sub- Himalayan Jetstreams and squeezed in full tanks which was just enough fuel for the 7H 50M flight + standard reserves, or Thumrait AB in Oman to RAF Brize Norton with 210 pax but a lot of freight was 8H 05m and both were bang on the limit of MTOW. Just an idea for your - max pax/max fuel endurance ballpark figure.
For distance check the length of the runway 14/32 at Umea, Northern Sweden (ESNU). I've taken the same config'd aircraft from there to Tenerife (with approx 30T of fuel) but it is very short (6000' ish) and it was contaminated.

In a nutshell, she climbs like a homesick angel!

Hope this helps and good luck!