PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is the "right time" to quit flying?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 08:40
Circuit Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Windy - I'd forgotten that one, which was excellent!

Mike - as others have said, try something different to rekindle the flame - if powered, then maybe aeros / tail dragger / open cockpit. Alternately, maybe gliding, ballooning, microlights - anything to get the 'buzz' back. I'm with the ATC and occasionally take young pax up who I've taught Principles of Flight or Air Nav to and then try to do air exercises that reflect the theory they've had on the gorund. Alternately, volunteer for a PFA Young Eagles day locally - I'm sure they'll bite your hand off!!

On the subject of good writings, I like the following (which is written as an epitaph for a pilot, but the bit about giving your soul a 50 hr check is quite telling!).

If I ever kill myself flying, I would ask but one thing from you all.

Learn as much as you can from whatever I did wrong, but don't waste your sympathy. It will have happened in the context of a pastime I love with an enduring passion, in full knowledge of the inherent risks, and in attempting to minimise them through knowledge, practice, and care.

But I'm fallible, like all of us, so nothing is guaranteed.

If I have destroyed a beautiful aeroplane by my carelessness, I'm sorry. All aeroplanes are, of course, beautiful.

If I have hurt anyone else in the accident, again, I apologise, unless they were of like mind, aware of the risks, and making a free and informed choice to fly with me.

The way the human spirit is lifted in flight is more important than the life of any one individual pilot. There will be pilots, but there may not always be the historic and rare aircraft to be flown by them. Such aircraft are pointers to the heritage in whose shadow we all stand and enjoy our privileges, but when another one dies, so too does another small fragment of our connection to that heritage.

This is the real tragedy of Biggin and Rouen, and why it is important to remain connected to the history of man's adventures in the air, not just in books and museums. It is also the real tragedy of the loss of airfields, and the growing band of noise complainers. This lifting of the human spirit is increasingly denied to more and more, and replaced by a smallmindedness that impoverishes the soul.

And if any cynic out there denies that aeroplanes have their own life that encapsulates and reflects much of ours, go into a hangar full of them one evening, and in the quiet broken only by the wind rattling the hangar doors, listen very carefully.

If you hear nothing, maybe your soul needs a 50 hour check.

Whatever you decide, Mike - no-one can take those 11,200 hours of memories away from you, where I'm sure you've had your fair share of fun, dramas and 'valuable learning opportunities'. Enjoy and whatever you decide, as the song says "Don't look back in anger".