PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Approaches (Split topic)
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 08:21
brain fade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thats clear then! Giving myself a kick up the arse right now for 'speeding'!
Lock n' load. Not surprised you're angry. I'd be too if i read comments like mine referring to what I do. Think I'm making it up do you?
I've seen a VC 10 make the turn before despite ATC warning us he definately would be missing it.
Re headwinds. A tower controller TOLD ME they make NO allowance for it. I'm only reporting what he said. My own observations support his statement and I think thats crap. Do you agree?
Heaven forbid you folk stop 'keeping us safe'. A balance has to be struck twixt safety and expediency (and this is always done), sometimes tho the emphasis goes a bit too much one one or other of these two. Plainly too much expediency would be unsafe, but too much pedantry is inefficient, tedious, slow, irritatiting and annoying. EDI is a bit like this latter scenario IMHO.

yaffs.
re 6 miles. of couse that allows a dep to go. what about 6 miles with the landing a/c at half it's normal GS. All i'm saying is that on windy days perhaps they could make an allowance for this. what do you think? I mean they could launch a squadron of B-52's in some of the gaps when it's real windy! Re speeding, I exaggerate!

Gonzo.
Oh yes I must write in, that will be sure to make a difference. There is no way they will change anything and last time I phoned the Tower (also spoke to the approach controller) that was made clear. In fact they think they do a terriffic job. I have also visited the tower and seen the very lovely 3 colour radar, thanks for asking. I really would like to see them get quicker and to be honest although I see the problem, I don't know where the origin of it lies. BAA? EDI ATC? bit of both maybe?

1261 I'm based at EDI and I look out the window a lot. Are you in denial?
Fecks sake are you saying that visual approaches, runway allocation are nothing to do with ATC? Give me a break! I'm not offering comment or complaint about noise. We could go there tho if you want.
I have no way of telling between watches. Must say I hadn't noticed much difference. There are some ATCO's tho who are particularly slow.
Look, it's not my wish to 'burst your bubble' (hang on, maybe it is!) but it's not just me who thinks it could stand a bit of a wake-up. Most everyone has similar opinion. One (senior) chap calls EDI ATC 'the flat earth society!'
Now that really is Rant Over!