PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Jock to be new CDS
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 05:18
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shjustme

Lots of examples there, and if you note the tone of my last I indicated that in certain circumstances within the Service I agree that it is unacceptable because it could lead to problems that could affect the efficiency or working of a unit.

For example, it would be highly undesirable for an officer to became involved with an SAC or SACW [ok, I'll qualify that and say 'on the same unit'] because it could lead to disciplinary problems.

It is unforgiveable for a serviceman to become involved with another serviceman's wife [on a par, say, with stealing from one's comrades - betrayal of trust, etc].

But whose business is it, and how does it affect the Service, if the Reds leader gets involved with a civi?

The honesty and integrity aspect I don't dismiss - it's just that after so many years in the Forces, having seen things like 'breathalise positive and it's admin discharge before it goes to court' change over the years to '3 positive court episodes and finally we'll take away your Sqn' - I have been dragged into recognising that things do change and have had to accept that. I don't necessarily subscribe to all the changes, but have had to accept, nonetheless, that change has happened.

30 years ago, who would have thought that you would eventually be able to get family accommodation if you were unmarried [but stable relationship] or homosexual?