PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 04:46
Ron Burgundy

olena, I know the blonde locks you are talking about, lovely girl!

To whoever is interested in fast jet world:

You wont get a hard and fast answer on the ability to change FEGs, aircraft or service as a pilot because it is highly variable. In the fighter world specifically the acceptance of pilots from other roles and services comes and goes, and depends on many factors such as demand for new Hornet bograts vs willingness of other FEGs to let pilots go, lateral recruits available, the mood of OC 78 wing at the time, and many other factors.

Planning to get foot in door and then come across is a real hit and miss affair, and I wouldn't plan on it as a career move. Retreads dont have a fantastic pass rate when they are suddenly thrown into a fast jet after a few years on autopilot, logging hours whilst in the kip.

I quote senior RAAF flying instructor "Your best ever chance of going to fast jets is straight off pilots course".

All flying is good work if you can get it, and my advice to those who had their heart set on getting in as a pilot is if flying is what you want to do then dont restrict yourself to the ADF if all you want to do is fly. I have several mates who failed pilots course and are now Cathay or Qantas pilots, the funny thing is, they are doing what most of us military pilots want to do as soon as we can anyway!!! They just got there five years earlier than the rest of us. (I might get a bit of heat from the career men for that last paragraph)