PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Approaches (Split topic)
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2005, 03:04
Lock n' Load

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It actually makes me pretty angry to see such complaints about EDI ATC, especially as these comments never came up during ATCO/pilot forums or the annual customer satisfaction survey.
I worked at EDI until last year and now I work in Canada doing Terminal Control into the 3rd busiest airport in the country, so I am qualified to comment.
Gatwick works to 5 or 6 mile gaps depending on requirements at the time. They have high speed turn-offs. My current airport has 3 runways and high speed turn-offs, and tower requires 5 mile gaps generally, and 4 mile gaps if no departures. For EDI to require 6 mile gaps is entirely reasonable and is nothing to do with one missing the turn. If a L101/VC10/A340 or the like turned up before the full-length taxiway was built, a good controller would give you a 9 miles spacing behind because it WOULD miss the turn, no question.
Yes, when there was strong headwind, the 6 mile gap could be used for a backtracking departure but it still took clenched buttocks and switched-on pilots to achieve. Most tower people at EDI, when there were no deps for a while, would instruct the radar controller to "pack"; that is, use 4 mile gaps instead of 6. Given a decent headwind and switched on crews, the odd departure could be got away in those smaller gaps too, but to do so all day is not worth my pension or anyone else's.
For years, EDI controllers have bent over backwards to give a good service despite inadequate infrastructure and, in recent years, significantly more traffic than Glasgow (thus making comparison meaningless now). For some of you to complain despite such efforts, and those efforts were many and great in my time there, makes you sound like a bunch of spoilt ingrates. There are a hell of a lot more screw-ups made by pilots than by controllers, and we work our asses off not just to be expeditious, but more importantly to KEEP YOU SAFE.
Now grow up the lot of you.