PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Approaches (Split topic)
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2005, 22:00
brain fade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AV-8 Guilty, sorry. Not the end of the world tho eh? It's a LLZ AE.

Steel
For info, yes 90 degree turns but surely a hell of a lot better than no 'end of runway' exit. So why no reduction in spacing now they've got 'em? We all had to put up with the 6 miles for years 'just in case the one ahead misses the turn'. Well I've been based there for 7 years and I've seen ONE a/c do that. So what if you get the odd GA. Not the end of the bloody world is it? Bit like skiing- if you never fall over ya aint trying hard enough! (like EDI ATC!)
Re visuals. Who the **** told them never to offer one. That's completely stupid (as you infer). I've seen us doing 20 mile finals and all after vectoring about all over the city on nights when you could see half of the UK. Must be about 4 times as noisy as swerving in visually. and take about 10 mins extra- more noise! (+ it's as rough as f+ck out over the firth when the wind is a bit southerly)

Re headwinds. After a particularly frustrating experience one evening I phoned the tower up too see what the hell was going on. My comments are from that conversation and are borne out by experience day in day out. YOU find it hard to believe? So did I! It's true. By the way you are correct, if you decide to ignore the towers (standard) '160 to 4' call they never complain as their awareness of your speed is zero. Often there is that much feckin room behind the one ahead you could go 260 to 4 and never catch him!
re clue. that would be unsporting! You give me a clue who you think it is first.
I know it's a bit hurtful to put it so bluntly but these folk need a kick up the arse, or at least those who put the daft rules in place do! The ATCO I quoted earlier was of the opinion that even with the new tower it would stay crap. How depressing.
Trouble is it's not just ATC at EDI thats cack! The handling is **** too!
I hate the bloody place!
Rant over