PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP Selection
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2005, 18:21
767yyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting wee thread this. Good points throughout

Here's my two cents worth from Maple Leaf Land

If anyone out there thinks that the only criteria for a major undertaking flight deck hiring is a psychy test, and flying evaulation/experience/sim check then they have got it ALL wrong...

Before our newbies get to the red and green coloured door, we'll already know they're not looney tunes, been locked up for anything and they can competently operate a metal pressurized tube of some description. Of course, the sim test is a critical part - but not it all.

The last thing you need on an 11 hour hour haul from Toronto to Tel Aviv is being wedged in the pointy end with 2 other arses, who complain about everything, and can't focus on the inevitably mundane, but detail orientated tasks in-cruise.

I had the opportunity to talk to newbies at my bus lines about 18 months ago, and before the job offer gets into their sweaty mits, we need to see: commitment, ability to lead/delegate, good humour, communication skills, ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams (no let's not harp on about CRM), ability to understand customer service. ALL in addition to flight operations...

As I said, it's taken for granted getting off and back on the ground in one piece, along with good operational decision making skills are already there...

Lastly, working for a major is not everyone's cup o' tea. However, if a big bus line extends the invite, you owe it to yourself to do your best and weigh it all up...Could you survive being at the arse's end of the bid lists and the crap schedules ? What about the double digit year wait for a command ? What about the bureaucracy ? If you can survive it all (we've all been there), then welcome to the pointy end...

Did I rant ? Did I ? Oh, probably...