PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2005, 16:48
Speedtape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearfinals
Yes you are right. I should have read more carefully. If all NC did was have a look at it then no harm done. If however, hands were laid on and tools applied then that is a very different matter.
The items that may be considered to be pilot maintenance are listed somewhere and when I can find it, I'll list them here or give a link to where it may be found (It's a CAP5XX publication). More than a few people think that they can have a dabble themselves to save money but when the cack hits the fan other people can die and the poor LAE whose signature was the last one in the log book can end up carrying the blame and going to jail even though he/she may have had absolutely nothing to do with the cause of the crash. I speak from very good experience on this point. Thankfully, it was proven to have been unauthorised maintenance but for a very long time the finger of suspicion hung over our heads and that is not a very life enhancing matter.
But I've left that behind now but it still riles me when I hear of the same things still furtively going on.
EASA is the European Aviation Safety Agency, the replacement of the JAA and is now the Europe wide law maker for aviation which even our dear old CAA will have to bow to.

Edit
Found it - it's CAP520

Part 5 Pilot Maintenance
1 Introduction
1.1 There are two aspects of light aircraft maintenance which may be carried out by a
licensed pilot who is also the owner or operator of the aircraft:
a) A 50 hr Check to the LAMS for aeroplanes (CAA/LAMS/ A/1999), but only if the
aeroplane has a C of A in the Private Category (not helicopters).
b) Certain maintenance tasks prescribed in the Air Navigation (General) Regulation
16, but only if the aeroplane or helicopter has a C of A in the Private or Special
Category. (See Appendix 1 to this Part.)
1.2 Since the 50 hr Check requires visual inspection of various components in order to
assess their serviceability, it is important that due consideration should be given to
the practical aspects of this task before it is undertaken. It is strongly recommended
that guidance be sought from the Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer or the
Approved Organisation who normally carry out the maintenance work on the
particular aeroplane.

Oh and for those of you that fly jelly hoppers some interesting and sobering human factors facts.
In the fixed wing world it takes on average a string of 11 errors to lead to an accident. In the rotary wing world, on average, a string of just 3 errors results in an accident
Something to bear in mind next time you see or hear of anyone dabbling with their Helicopter and something that definitely needs reporting

Last edited by Speedtape; 31st Mar 2005 at 17:10.