PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Effect of crosswind on fixed wing field performance
Old 30th Mar 2005, 21:08
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
PS emailed Kenji - all is fine now. Sorry for delay. Well done!
Yippee, thank you

=============================================

Just pulled Eshelby off the shelf, presumably the basic simplicity of the model is letting you down - you need something much more complicated to allow tweaking of rthe various parameters, viz..

- Variation in rolling friction due sideforce
- Variation in profile drag due sideslip (and due rudder and aileron deflection?)
- Variation in propeller efficiency due sideslip
- Variation in lift due aileron deflection (which will cant the lift vector sideways and cause an increase in download on the tyres for any given airspeed).

?

I tried Hale (ISBN 0-471-07885-9), which is slightly more friendly, but a basically similar model to Eshelby's - but what about Lowry? (ISBN 1-56347-330-5) It's a much more complex model, but might be more amenable to tweaking for variations in these factors during take-off (That's for the ground roll, the air segment should be just trig I'd venture).

Aint easy though, I confess the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of starting experimentally and trying to generate some reasonable experimental factors.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 31st Mar 2005 at 05:57.