PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS for road use
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2005, 10:24
Coconutty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navman

.. as no-one else has mentioned it ...

I use "Navman" and my set up is a Navman GPS 3450 "sleeve" that my Ipaq H5550 slides into - the sleeve has a built in GPS antenna plus a socket for an external antenna if required.

Having upgraded from Navman's "Smart ST Pro" - Version 1 software to the latest Version 3 for Pocket PC there have been some big improvements - Version 1 seemed very "buggy" with no 3D views and out of date maps which didn't give "Navman" a particularly good reputation.

Latest version has the 3D view, latest maps ( with M6 Toll etc ) and works very well ( for me ). The main problem I had to overcome with my setup, was the woefully inadequate volume for the voice instructions - the built in speaker of my Ipaq is very small - apparantly to make space for an SD memory card slot, and it simply cannot be heard while driving.

I purchased a set of mini external battery powered speakers for about £10.00 and have them velcroed on the dashboard. They simply plug in to the Ipaq earpiece socket and are loud enough to be heard over the Radio / Cd Player.

You can also obtain mounting cradles which power the Ipaq, either "Hard wired" to the car electrics or which plug into the cigar lighter socket - keeping the battery charged, and with a built in speaker if required - such as "Brodit" available from "Handnav" - tailored to your specific car model.

The benefit of using this set up over a stand alone system is that there is integration with Outlook so you can plot routes to addresses in your "Contacts" lists, although it is sometmes a bit laborious if you don't have the full address and post code stored.
The system is portable so you can taek it walking with you ( if that's what rattles your cage ) and you can also use the Navman with other mapping solutions such os "Memory Map" where you can get Ordnance Survey Maps, Aviation Charts etc etc, aswell as working with the FREE software Flight Planning program "Pocket FMS"

The Navman maps are supplied on CD ROM ( I was sent the full European map pack ) and you then buy licence(s) to activate the maps you want to use - you have to register on-line and enter the licence number ( to prevent piracy / copying etc ) before you can download the maps to the Ipaq, which is done via Microsoft Active Sync and the cradle / cable that came with the Ipaq.

All available in the UK from "Total PDA" or any of the other suppliers already mentioned.

......... and to finish I too have no relationship with any of the products mentioned other than being a satisfied customer