PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OAT - Europes finest FTO
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2005, 21:55
orangesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... what was that about .....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
slick marketing materials
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

quote:

... couldnt agree more with you about the "other" skills which make one candidate more "desireable" than the next, but i think you missed the jist of the original post, which was a question regarding the state of the OATS seneca fleet.

clearly to provide this wonderful environment of training devices money had to come from somewhere, could it be that investment was made on the shiny new flat screens, office refurbs, slick marketing materials , slick marketing materials, slick marketing materials ... instead of maintaining the fleet ?

on another note, it would be interesting to find out a few more facts about oxford :

* on average, how long does it take to complete an IR ?
* how many hours could one IR students expect to fly on a "normal" day ?
* for the duration of the IR course, how many different instructors could a "normal" student expect to fly with ?
* if one isnt able to "keep pace" with the schedule, what sort of remedial training could one expect at oxford ?

the reason why i have mentioned these is during my experience i have met a number of OATS graduates, and a large percentage of them wouldnt sing any praises for OATS. in fact, some even had to leave and complete their training elsewhere, where they felt they were treated as an individual and had their training tailored accordingly.

as i have always said, training must suit the individual, one school which may be good for a certain person wouldnt suit the next. the only way to get a balanced picture and to have an idea of what would be best for you, this might entail a number of trips to the various schools, weigh up [I] all [I]the costs, location, condition and number of aircaft, number of instructors and make your own mind up about how important YOU would be to the school.

lets be honest, would you want to buy a sandwich which was made in a factory, even if it was from pret a manger, or would you prefer to have one handmade, in front of you with your exact ingredients ? i know which i would prefer !

regarding the F/O responsibilities which were mentioned of "business analysis" and "airline economics" .... give me a break. in the real world, the commercial and finance departments make those decisions, the last thing they want is a starry eyed new F/O trying to tell them what makes economic sense.

this isnt meant to be an OATS bashing session, but i wanted to bring the thread back to the reason for the initial post, and to also raise a few questions which potential IR students might want to think about before making that all too important decision to part with their hard earned cash. very experienced friends within the industry (and i'm talking about the recruiting side of the industry) have mentioned that, in their opinion, OATS is riding on its bygone reputation ... i dont have enough experience to make that comment on my own.

good luck guys and gals, its probably one of the more important decisions you will make in your life, but as VC10 mentioned in his post, if you have the desire, commitment, personality and dedication you will make it happen

atyourcervix .... aaaaaiiiiiii