PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management styles in the Helicopter Industry
Old 29th Mar 2005, 16:58
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I know one helicopter company where these principles are used and it works.
The problem is, that so few people have the talent and the personality to lead in this way. You can learn some techniques, but you need some talent, too. Unfortunately most bosses of helicopter companies I met, do not have this talent. Too many use this business for there personal satisfaction. Helicopters are sexy in the eye of the public (not the noise). Or there are those who do not understand the business. This is a disadvantage in any other business, too.
Especially in change management, as a leader you should rather keep the people who know the business and the company and fire the outsiders. The old girls and guys will learn quicker modern management techniques then newcomers the business during a difficult time.

Ups, have to stop. Most lovely girl in the world must go to bed now.

Where was I? Ah, yes.
All that was mentioned are well known techniques for efficient leadership. Some of them date back centuries. You learn them during any course about leadership, but there are so few who are capable to use them. Too many machos around. Too many think they know all, too few realize that they have to know the person in the company who knows best about the subject in question. A good leader knows how to ask, how to delegate and how to motivate. And he/she is never late and has always enough time. Leading is a bit like flying. Don't rush, use the available resources and stay ahead of the situation.
And last but not least, I would even say "most important": You have to like people, you have to respect them and you must be able to admit when you made a mistake. Then they will respect you. You can not buy respect.

This all sounds very nice, but it is difficult. One reason is, that you as the leader gets all the blame. You will be responsible if the business plan fails. But if it works out. You will only be part of a team.

PS: CRM is NOT the ideal tool for leadership. It is perfect in a cockpit, but it is not so good in the "normal" life.

Last edited by Rotorbee; 29th Mar 2005 at 17:46.