PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 year old starts his own airline
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2005, 15:00
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honiley,

To quote just one of the many posts which made me think there were lots of green eyes on the forum:

"Fair enough. Anyway more important things to worry about without giving this company free advertising."

"Reasoned opinions based on experience and knowledge from members of the industry who KNOW it will not work"

And no doubt many said Easyjet or Ryanair wouldn't work, or that people wouldn't want to pay £4 for a sandwich and fly to Haugesund for £1.

Then again, many here have said EU Jet wouldn't work, and the jury is still out. The naysayers have been proven so far to be right about now, Freshaer, Flywho etc.

Perhaps if anyone came back and said "I told you Easyjet and Ryanair WOULD work, but that x,y and z who are no longer with us would not", then it would add more weight than the "I've got xx years of industry experience, and I know it won't work" line.

Experts can and often do get it wrong.

I for one hope it does work, but I don't yet know enough about the venture to give a real opinion. However, if it doesn't, then Mr Halstead will at least have proven he has a great ability in the PR department - a service which numerous other transport companies could no doubt make great use of.

Also, what will have been lost? He isn't flying his own planes, and he isn't promising holidays to Florida which he can't deliver. Nor is he likely to be taking huge fortunes of people in plane tickets which they will never get to use.

And if this operation doesn't work in its current form, who's to say that something else won't be able to take its place. We should all be supporting regional airports for the range of services they provide, and for their ability to take people off the congested roads.

Now how people get from Oxford City centre to Kidlington during the rush hour is going to be an interesting one. Martin, you're only 18, any chance of offering a rickshaw service?