PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Safety
Thread: Aircraft Safety
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2005, 14:56
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 5206.

I have thought long and hard before contributing to this thread because for the last 40 plus years I have been trying to improve (aircraft) safety in one capacity or another. All I have learned tells me that the whole thing is a very complex issue and not easy to simplify in any worthwhile way.

However I will try and show where I agree with previous posters but also where I may have other views. But it will be a long post.

I think your three questions were a very good start at trying to get to identify relevant issues however in the context of such a complex total subject they have limitations.

For example your first question – exactly what do you mean by ‘lower safety standards’? I think I know what you mean but I may not be right. I think you mean ‘lower that we have happily experienced and accepted in our various fields in the past’. Even if I am right this will mean different things to different people depending on their expertise. An engine man today may say his engines are now very much more reliable by any measure you care to use, that those of previous generations – and it would be hard to disagree that example. But as we introduce radically new systems and concepts we necessarily open the door to new failure cases.

As an example of what I mean, in the late 1960s when the development Harriers started flying around with a HUD (the first HUD for the RAF), it was not uncommon for the four pilots involved at Dunsfold to each experience a HUD failure every month. Many did not matter (ie did not create a flight safety risk at the time) because they were failures to off or obvious corruptions of the display. But a few were potentially real killers. One day flying visually back home I happened to notice the HUD showed 30 deg of bank even though I had my wings level at the time. It was not frozen and responded normally to bank changes. This was a case of incorrect information being perfectly displayed by what was also a very compelling display. Tricky for anyone in cloud.

The response of the ‘establishment’ was to say pilots should not use the HUD as a primary flight reference but should also scan head down instruments as a cross check. So now the HUD has made the pilot’s life harder not easier (at least in my book). In the 70s there was a spate of Jaguar and Harrier fatals where the HUD was implicated by the BoI. OK tell the chaps to scan better. Bloody rubbish. They were being badly let down by their kit.

To cut a long story short I wrote an AGARD paper entitled 'Modern Flight Instrument Displays as a Major Military Flight Safety Weakness' which started like this:

Quote:

Consideration of the major causes of flying accidents over which the airframe and engine manufacturers can exert a powerful influence shows the following list:

1. Structural Failure

2. Engine Failure

3. Flying Control Failure

4. Instrument Failure

5. Pilot Error

With the first three of these causes - Structural, Engine and Flying Control failures - while mistakes do occur, the manufacturers have a reasonable record, there is no evidence of complacency, and in addition there is a large well established, government controlled, national bureaucracy offering valuable checks and advice on testing and airworthiness certification. Pilot error in different, but appropriate ways, also attracts much effort aimed at its reduction. Most importantly, so far as the purposes of this paper are concerned, the accident trends related to the first three causes, as well as those due to pilot error, do not appear to have changed fundamentally during the last decade. The same cannot be said of instrument display related accidents.

Since the advent of Head Up and computed displays in general, and the operator's real need to expand the non-visual manoeuvre envelope, there has been a marked increase in display related accidents/incidents in both operational and development flying.

This note suggests that attempts at curing the problem have been based on a false assumption that has ignored the reality of the piloting task in modern high performance jet aircraft. Proposals are offered to improve the situation by both engineering and organisational changes.

End of quote

It seemed to me from my BLEU autoland experience that no engineer would ever send a signal to the tailplane jack of an airliner during an autoland without validating it before it was sent. I suggested in that AGARD paper that flight instrument information should be similarly validated before it was sent to the cockpit because it is no less VITAL to the safety of flight in many circumstances.

Now you say – interesting but so what……the point I am trying to illustrate is that each generation of developers has their own safety issues to IDENTIFY and then confront and fix. I suspect that many of you have concerns regarding flight critical software in which case I can only sympathise with you in trying to put across your concerns to non software literate people. But try you must, because only YOU are in possession of the facts and understanding – which brings me to the second question.

Only workers at the coal face can vent the pressure to make do with less than you think is safe.

I was a worker once BUT I was very privileged to work for a design office that had a good culture. If I got the information and put it across properly my views were usually accepted as the culture was to make better aeroplanes not more profit. And before anybody says it is not like that in the real world today I understand the problem but it never does any harm to mention that better goods sell better – year after year and if they are good enough will even be bought by the Pentagon. (You don’t do that by just doing the minimum to meet some home grown spec and contract). In a few cases my views were not accepted so then you need plan B where you get the customer in the pub and explain what the problem is so that the next time they come to fly your jet they amazingly trip over the problem which elevates its status to the required level. Civilian court martials do exist but providing you are right they can’t really toss you out.

Safeware said ‘Tell it like it is and let whoever is responsible up the chain make the call.’ Mmmmm. Not entirely sure about that.

In my book a test pilot who flies the jet, gets the data, reports on it and then sits quietly down until he is asked to fly again is NOT a test pilot but a pilot who flies flight tests. To me a test pilot is someone who accepts the responsibility to push until the report is implemented. He wants a safer jet. I think many engineers are able to push harder and higher if they choose to. It is a lot of work, involves personal risks but can give the greatest satisfaction when what you know needs doing is done.

Safeware’s answer to question three gives me no problem. He is right. Ask any five pilots a question and you will likely get six answers because one of ‘em will later change his mind. I jest a tad of course but aircrew are the same as engineers some are better quality than others when it comes to the issues we are talking about here.

JF

PS edited to include the title

Last edited by John Farley; 29th Mar 2005 at 15:38.