PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OEI Missed Approach Procedure
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2005, 13:02
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Blip,

There is no single solution to what we agree is a very vexed issue. What may work in one set of circumstances may not work in another.

If I'm rejecting the landing (going-around at very low level and I'm lined up with the runway) what else am I going to do other than track the runway centreline as best I can (it's not too difficult with a look out the window and a track box on my HSI.) and then go from there. (my emphasis)
I did say NO unless you can....

It depends on the type of machinery you fly, how many motors are running and whether you can look out the window or whether it is wise to do so. From my observations, large aircraft go-rounds involve high nose attitudes that obscure the view plus a need to fly very accurately on the clocks. If it is OEI, then one can expect lots of yaw and a fair bit of lateral translation. If it is dark, you will be lucky to see anything outside until you are reconfigured. If, OTOH, you a flying a little aeroplane, then you should be climbing for all that it is worth while still within the flight strip/aerodrome perimeter.

The OLS for the runway will provide you with some immediate protection from very low level. The take-off portion of the OLS ends up looking much like the take-off splay for CAO 20.7.1B, although it might be wider. My major concern is the tendency to rely on an acceleration altitude that is totally dependent upon the design of the SDP and its containment area to be safe. That is the real NO NO.

One thing I always look for is any missed approach procedure that relates to the approach end of the runway to which I am circling, since it most certainly will provide me with an option far better than me making it up at the time. I should be aware of the gradients required and available to me, hence I should know if I can get back to that missed approach obstacle clear path from below if required.

If there is nothing designed, then my options are fewer so my decisions must be made earlier if possible. Those decision need to relate to minimising the chances of going around due to detectable causes such as weather, lights, flight path management, etc. If not possible then I need to know where the problem terrain is, so I weigh up the straight ahead versus turn options - and yes, I will turn within the circling area below the circling minima provided I am in deep shet already for straight ahead, am still climbing and I have achieved at least half the MOC height...

And in our less than perfect world, there are just some days when you wished you stayed in bed.

All of which reinforces what is behind CAR(88) 218 and 219 for planning and observation. Remember the 6 Ps!

Stay Alive,