PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for Integrated Ab-Initio to ATPL
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2005, 10:52
flyingisgr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tonyic7, unfortunately as soon as you ask such a question on here you will get a barrage of "informed opinions". It completely depends what your own personal choices come down to at the end of the day. It would be silly to make sweeping statements regarding airline recruitment policies because there are big variations in what different companies will consider.

From my experience and having seen some of the industry (worked at the head office of a major UK carrier) I decided to go integrated. I was in the position where I could have gone either way, as I had been flying as a PPL for several years by then. My reason was that itīs not a case of believeing that ONLY integrated students get jobs because thatīs simply not true. However, if you are going to pop out of the other end of an ATPL course as a low hour, no experience non-type rated baby pilot, it would appear that a significant number of airlines prefer the major schools and their integrated courses for this sector of their recruitment.

I know modular students that have got jobs fairly soon after qualifying too, but very very few. Have a look at where for example BA/Citiexpress/GB etc have been sourcing their recent requirements for low hour pilots - FTE, Oxford, Cabair and CTC. The usual suspects.

Going modular is fine if youīre prepared to take the chance that you have an increased chance of having to instruct or something for a few years. However, if you want to appeal as many airlines as possible as a green, low hour pilot, in all probability an integrated course is likely to be better for you.

If you donīt get swamped by all the tirades of different arguments good luck with whatever you decide!!